[AMPS] Swinging Choke Theory

measures 2@vc.net
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:08:38 -0700

>I think they were mistaken if they thought they had a "tuned swinging
>choke" Phil.  They either had a swinging choke (which isn't tunable),   or
>they had a tuned choke which is a single value inductor (not swinging),
>tuned by by a parallel capacitor.  When we all hashed the tuned choke idea
>here on the reflector back several months ago, I think the consensus was
>that a tuned choke wasn't worth the effort and of questionable value for
>amateur service amps (because of the intermittent operation).
>
>The swinging choke is still a perfectly good idea and more appropriate for
>amateur service specifically due to the intermittent nature of amateur
>service.

The only type of load that is suitable for the swinging choke is
constant-current, such as in AM service.  //.  To see why, one needs a HV
multiplier probe and a DC oscilloscope.  On the other hand,
resonant-choke filters are suitable for situations where rapid variations
in load current take place -- such as CW and SSB.  .

>The only drawback that I can see is the minimum bleeder current
>requirement needed to maintain the inductance when the amp isn't in
>transmit (ie. drawing full load current).  This can amount to a few hundred
>watts of wasted power (and heat to dissipate).

A friend bought a Dahl resonant-choke matched pair.  He discovered that
very little bleeder current is needed to prevent the output V from soaring

later, Phil

>At 04:59 PM 3/26/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>>   Someone advertised a power supply for sale the other day featuring a
>>"tuned swinging choke." How do you tune a swinging choke? Can  swinging
>>Every time  the subject has come up about swinging chokes, I become more
>>confused! I have an 8.4 to 20 Hy @ 1.5 amp CCS choke here that I have been
>>using  for a book-end....is there any modern-day use for it?   (((73)))
>>Phil, K5PC
>>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/ampsfaq.html

end