[AMPS] 3/2 power law and Rich's very wide signal

measures 2@vc.net
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:46:21 -0700

>measures wrote:
>>>Rise times on the order of 100 microseconds to 500 microseconds are what
>>>I've measured in the past.
>>>
>>Agreed.   Do you feel that a typical screen bypass C can be fully charged
>>in 100uS in a DAF amp.? This is the real issue here.
>
>Or was that 2 milliseconds?

fair point, Ian.  My guess is that 2mS would not be doable in a typical
8171 amplifier.  So why try?.  Holding the screen potential at the needed
1500v solves the distortion problem provided that grid-current is
virtually zero.  .

>>My guess is that
>>Mr.  Thornley was not able - or was too lazy - to build a proper screen
>>supply and  bias supply  .
>>

>If Mr Thornley were still alive, you'd very quickly regret making that
>cheap shot.

  not a sound bet, Ian.  Mr. Thornley did not construct a proper screen
supply.  He needs to explain why.      //  After reading the orig.
article, my guess is that Thornley was not aware of why one needs to have
constant screen potential applied Before RF arrives.    //  Eimac,
Amperex, Philips, Svetlana and RCA recommend regulated screen potential
for tetrodes in AB linear service   Could they all be out of step except
Mr. Thornley?

cheers

end