[AMPS] SS750 output -- more tests

Vic Rosenthal rakefet@rakefet.com
Sun, 07 May 2000 19:35:40 -0700

I'm still trying to figure out why I can only get about 600 watts output on 14
MHz from my Henry SS750 amplifier (8 x 2SC2879).

I measured the output into the dummy load with various levels of drive, from 10
to 100w in 10 w steps.  I found the following relationship:

In     Out
---    ---
10     113
20     216
30     305
40     384
50     427
60     482
70     520
80     540
90     570
100    601
150    687

Obviously, the gain drops as the power increases.  Is this normal?

I did some research, and the 2SC2879 is rated at 13 db gain (minimum) at 28 MHz.
with only 12.5v on the collector.  The attenuator that's in the Henry circuit on
14-28 MHz is only 2 db.  That should leave 11 db gain.  Allowing for 2 db of
loss in the splitter, combiner, and filter, that leaves 9 db, which should
produce 800 watts with 100 watts drive.  One would expect even more gain with
13.8v.

Something isn't right...I think.  I am not a solid-state guy  -- help!

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA