[AMPS] 4-1000 is this a good tube?

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 01:40:27 -0500

on 5/17/00 10:11 PM, Bobo at kb8gnf@orwell.net wrote:

> I have a chance to buy a homebrew 4-1000 amp. I'm not familiar with this
> tube. Is this tube easy to drive? Forgiving? What type of out put can be
> expected for a single tube with a serious power supply?

Also, Bob, I forgot to mention:

Many of the guys run the tube at lower voltages.  And many of the old
designs floating around have it running at 3 to 4 KV.  However, most of
those old designs were based on the 2 KW input rules back in the days of
yesteryear.  In order to drive the tube to full output (and in class AB with
roughly 50% efficiency = 3000 Watts input), you need to run it near the
upper end of its voltage spec.  The gain and Pout improve when biased up
high.

Rich suggested 7.5 KV.  Personally I think that's a little to high since the
maximum rating is 7 KV if memory serves me.  Of course if all you are going
to do is run SSB, 7.5 KV is probably OK.  But if you are going to run AM or
RTTY or even high speed CW, I would feel uncomfortable running my plate
voltage that high.

73,

Jon
NA9D