[AMPS] QSK5 Unit

measures 2@vc.net
Thu, 18 May 2000 06:50:39 -0700

>I have been looking at the Ameritron QSK5 unit for pin diode switching.
>Does anyone here have experience with it? The manual indicates you can
>only operate it up to 1000 watts out, but with a fan it can go higher,
>seeming to say the limit is losses/power dissipation? But, it also says
>that as SWR increases the ratings are lower, indicating the power limt
>is a voltage problem??

€  Correct.  The max allowable inverse for a PIN diode is c. 1000v.
RJ-1A and HC-1 vacuum relays are typically 5000 piv - and they can
recover from a static discharge - unlike PIN diodes.  The  switching
speed of these two vacuum relays is under 2mS if a speedup circuit is
used.  See my Web site for details.

> Wonder if someone has real world experience or
>has done circuit analysis to find out the details?

Amateur radio operators who live in Florida have told me that lightning
is a problem for PIN diodes.  .  .

>Thanks Bill, K5ZQ
>
>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/ampsfaq.html