[AMPS] 4-1000 is this a good tube?+

measures 2@vc.net
Thu, 18 May 2000 10:36:15 -0700

>In a message dated 05/17/2000 11:40:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>jono@enteract.com writes:
>
><<
> Rich suggested 7.5 KV.  Personally I think that's a little to high since the
> maximum rating is 7 KV if memory serves me.

€  6000v on AŘ

>Of course if all you are going
> to do is run SSB, 7.5 KV is probably OK.  But if you are going to run AM or
> RTTY or even high speed CW, I would feel uncomfortable running my plate
> voltage that high.
>
> 73,
>
> Jon
> NA9D >>
>the above comments reminded me of a fellow I ran into on 40 mtrs a few years
>back he was running 5KV ON A PAIR OF 813s! i wondered, but forgot to asked
>him what his idle current was, as the (2) 813 give only 250 w of plt. dissp.
>anybody here had any experience running 813s at this voltage?? (seems just a
>tad high to me!)

€  I have heard from builders that 3000v is max. for 813s w. ssb.  In my
experiences, there are amateur radio operators who sometimes do not tell
the truth on the air.   5kV could have been pure Bull designed to start a
hair-pull.  .   W6CHR used to claim that he did not need a hv transformer
in his ''big boy'' because he literally hooked onto Edison's hv lines in
the alley with a long fiberglass pole and a Hook just before he got on
the air.  .  //   The 4-1000A is rated at 5000v with 100% plate
modulation.  That is 10kv peak.  // I would choose a tube that has more
emission.

Cheers, Hank

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/ampsfaq.html