[AMPS] Emtron DX1

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Fri, 26 May 2000 10:45:50 -0500

> >Subject: Re: [AMPS] Emtron DX1

> >> What is the water-column pressure measured at the tube socket?
> >> thanks
> >
> >Quite a bit more than the stock internal blower. Exaust air flow nearly
> >doubled in pressure due to the size of the remote blower.
> >
> ''Quite a bit'' is not much help.   I need a measurement.  //  I am going
> after the statement of ''over 250 cfm...''.  Just because the blower
> manufacturer says congratulations, you have purchased a 250cfm blower
> does not mean that it will actually do 250.  .  Eimac says that at sea
> level, it takes 0.6" of pressure to flow 34cfm in a 4CX1500B.  My guess
> is that to put 250cfm through a pair of 1500B coolers, it would take a
> Force-4 hurricane.

Sorry, Rich...I cannot help you. I have no measuring equipment.
The "stock" blower in the Harris RF-110A puts out sufficient air to
cool the unit under the riggers of ship board and field operation
at all climates and altitudes, and guarantees 100% duty at 1KW
RTTY. All I know is that the exhaust air is double what the stock blower
was with this 1/12 HP monster that I now have at the other end of the 25 foot
hose.

BTW, the Harris scheme, IMHO, is almost as nifty as the Heath SB-220 .
Since cost and noise were no object, a 115v 400hz blower resides in
a duct running from the front of the unit to the tube compartment. I don't
know what the RPM is @ 400hz, but my guess is that the blades would
exceed Mach 1 if they went any faster. It can be heard a block away
without the muffler kit for the air intake, but since this is a remote controlled
amp, it made no difference to the Pentagon. I was going to let the stock
blower free-wheel after installing the new remote blower scheme, but
un-powered, the blades turned faster than when powered. I immobilized the
blades with a folded business card, and that solved the noise problem.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC