[AMPS] Slow coaxial relays

Scott Townley nx7u@arrl.net
Sun, 28 May 2000 16:41:15 -0700

I recently acquired some coaxial relays very similar to the DK-60 type (but
there are no markings on them).  They have 12VDC coils.  I was surprised to
find that although these relays "make" quickly (not measured but, you know,
apparently right when coil voltage switched on) they "break" VERY slowly,
at least 500msec after 0VDC and one of them literally 2+ sec after 0VDC.

Not being a coaxial relay expert, is this how DC coils act?  Do relay
manufacturers have an option for slow break that I don't know about?  Any
suggestions on how to address the issue?  I don't expect QSK operation but
I think we'd all agree that 1/2 sec break is pretty darn slow.

PS I have some marked DK-60 relays with 6VAC coils and they are
"instantaneous".

TIA,
Scott Townley
nx7u@arrl.net