[AMPS] high level rf fields

nospam4me@juno.com nospam4me@juno.com
Sat, 27 May 2000 23:09:30 -0700

While working at very high level (multiple TV and Radio Broadcast) sites,
most of my test equipment would provide erratic service, Watt meters
would measure more return power back down the line than forward from a
110 watt PA.  Most multi (volt) meters wouldn't function, even in
shielded box's while on or near the towers.

This was the real world for quality receiver front end designs.  Auto
receivers in the service vans would play music with the power switch off.

Relative Output meters work well on the inbound direction, I remove the
factory SB-200 design and replace it with my own circuit and "Autek
Style" meter drive circuit in a shielded box.

skipp

> With antenna connected and no drive (mike gain set to zero) and SWR at
1:1,
> on 10 Meters the power meter shows 5 watts output.  On 15 Meters 1 watt
> output.  No indication of output on SB-200 relative output meter at
maximum
> sensativity.
> With dummy load connected, no indication of output on either band.
> Have ruled out parasitics as there is no amp grid current and amp plate
> current remains at nominal resting level while output is indicated on
power
> meter and cannot detect any RF with sensitive field strength meter.
> Can anyone explain this peculiar situation?
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.