[AMPS] Trouble With an AL-80A... Cause?

kd4rwn@bellsouth.net kd4rwn@bellsouth.net
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 23:31:27 -0500

Hey All,

	Wondering if i could get some help with a problem my club had
with our Al-80A about a week ago. Went to turn the amp on (Had
been working great the day before), And immediatly dident hear the
normal (Whoosh-Ping) Sound the amp makes when its energizeing.
Thoguht i dident hit the On switch right, and when i went to hit it
again, black tinned smoke started to come out of the left vent holes
by the Caps.  Immediatly turned it off and unplugged it. After
opening the case, We could notice no obvious damaged parts; Not
even smoke residue on anything. Only tipoff was the case had a
slight sweet smell to it, not the acid smell you would expect of that
black smoke.

	The Weird thing is, the fuses dident blow. They look fine. Im
going back tomorrow with some Meters and other stuff to take a
better look.. But im wondering what everyone thinks is the
problem? The Transformer comes to mind immediatly, But if the
fuses dident blow, Could it be something else? Anything to check
with my meters tomorrow?

Thanks in advance for the help... 73's All

Ulysses Rodriguez - KD4RWN
President - University Of Central Florida ARC (K4UCF)
Member: ARRL, FCG, WWYC # 77
kd4rwn@arrl.net