[AMPS] advice on and old SB-220

Bill Turner w7ti@jps.net
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:15:24 -0800

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:46:49 -0500, Eric Moore wrote:

>1.  What would be the best process to bring this unit back into daily
>service?     I have a 10Amp 120V variac. The amp is wired to 240V, but has a
>120V cordset on it.  Should I energize it at 120V with it wired for 240V to
>ease it into service?

Yes, a Variac is an excellent idea.  I recently powered up a Heath
SB-1000 after ~six years of sitting and the 3-500Z had gotten very
gassy, in fact, it blew the primary fuse immediately.  Had I used a
Variac, I could have saved the cost of a fuse plus a frazzled nerve or
two.  It was a brief but spectacular light show.  :-)  Everything else
was ok.

73, Bill W7TI