[AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:11:28 -0500

> The 10/3 is fine if your circuit draws less than 30Amps.  You should have
2
> lines (or phases as you have called them) and a grounding conductor.
There
> is no neutral in this type of an installation.

There is in this case because the amplifier's 120VAC blower has no 120VAC
tap.  Thus, a neutral is still required.  See follow-up posting.

> voltage drop should be considered.  I would be happy to calclate it for
you
> if you provide the distance and load in ampres.

I should be OK from this persepctive and I also calculated 30-amps.  I'm
assuming that the tw-phase breaker should never be rated at more than the
conductor's safe current rating.

> You will not need a neutral if there is not requirement for 120V. in this
> equipment (remember line-neutral = 120V

And there's the fly in the ointment!  The blower is the only 120VAC
requirement, thereby requiring a neutral.

73,

-Paul, W9AC