[AMPS] Hi Power Connectors

Steve ve3tu@rac.ca
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:38:26 +0000

The only thing going for PL259 type connectors is they are cheap and readily
available. The most common failure of connectors (PL259 or N) is mechanical
or from water ingress. I would not hesitate to use PL259 for legal limit plus
3db for
HF or use N connectors for 500 watts at VHF or 430 mc. If you are spending
money for quality cable to the antennas and would like quality connectors then
go with C connectors. Just remember the N connector is the same size as a BNC
connector with a weather tight shell and holds a larger cable. I have put 1.5 kw

through a BNC connector at HF but not for a long period of time. Hope that
helps.

gl es 73 Steve VE3TU