[AMPS] Hi Power Connectors

Ian Roberts ITR@Nanoteq.co.za
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:52:56 +0200

Vic Rosenthal wrote:

> Chuck Counselman wrote:
> >
> >  Yes, I appreciate that a UHF connector must not
> > be used where it might get wet, and that mechanically it's a piece of junk.
>
> I think the "UHF" connectors are great, appropriate technology for 1-2 KW HF
> applications, as long as you waterproof them.  Properly installed, there's
> nothing junky about them.  Actually, in my experience the most important factor
> (after installation and coax seal), is that the so-239 be of high quality to
> insure good contact to the center pin.

The term "UHF" is a complete misnomer in discussing these connectors.
They are strictly HF devices. VSR above around 140 MHz is too high.
The better types use PTFE, bakelite or similar insulation (won't melt
when heated with a soldering iron). Some Taiwanese types melt down at
soldering temps.
Some don't "wet" readily with solder, especially around the earth plane
and the plating needs to be scraped off to achieve a bond. A gold-plated
inner is probably a plus factor.

Ian ZS6BTE