[AMPS] Hi Power Connectors

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:53:32 -0500

At 09:35 AM 11/22/00 -0500, Tom Rauch wrote:
>Many types of cables have very flexible jackets. This allows the
>braid to slide on inner dielectric. The outer part of the N friction fits
>the jacket with a poor mechanical grip, and if the braid is not
>bonded or compacted into the center dielectric pushing or pulling of
>the pin is inevitable no matter how careful you are.
>
>I've actually found premium grades of RG-8 style cables that won't
>fit UHF fittings (which screw onto the outer insulation) properly. The
>outer jacket is soft, and this prevents the braid and connector from
>staying in place. Use a cable like that on an N, and you are
>screwed! And some of those cables are expensive!

I recently wound up using soap to get some PL-259s screwed on Belden
RG-213. An even worse problem was that the stranded center conductor is, in
an absolutely pristine condition, just small enough to go into the center
conductor.  Muss it up a little while stripping, or try to tin it, and
chances are either multiple strands will wind up turning back and shorting
the connector or else the whole thing will jam.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at