[AMPS] Hi Power Connectors

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:35:37 -0500

> That is my next project, since the Suburban was wrecked.
>
> I am going to do a Extended Chevy Van with a smallish V8 in the back.
>
> I think I should be able to run about 6 to 8 power supplies off a 300
> horsepower V8.

Why so much horsepower?

One horsepower will typically produce a little less than one-half
kilowatt with a normal alternator. 300 horsepower should be enough
for a hundred kilowatts of supply power if the supplies have decent
construction and the system is designed correctly.

Most people drive all the alternators off the crank snout. The snout
isn't designed to run more than normal accessories plus a safety
margin. Not only that, all the inertia of the spinning mass on the
front aggravates twisting and torsional vibration of the crank. The
harmonic damper can't do it's job when the crank is loaded with
spinning mass on the front, and the flywheel at the rear away from
the load certainly makes things worse.

If I had a separate engine, I'd drive the alternator from the flywheel
end.You could run 1/4 the engine size without failure with the same
load.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com