[AMPS] 3CX1200

Ken Barber kbarber@monmouth.com
Mon, 09 Oct 2000 10:58:36 -0400

George,
  Thanks for the information.  The 3CX3000A7 looks like an excellent tube.
  Some have suggested using an 8877 which is a nice tube, however, I have
both the AL-1200 and the AL-1500.  When I drive the AL-1500 with 20 watts
of carrier on 75 AM and setting it up with a single tone using a scope, the amp
puts out approximately 400 watts carrier, 1600 watts PEP tone.  While talking
everything is fine, however, if I accidentally hit the mike stand (rare
occurrence),
the audio spike kicks out the 8877 overload and I'm back to 20 watts.  The
AL-1200 (modded with 3800 volts under load) can put out the same power
and is not as sensitive on overloads, perhaps because it has twice the grid
dissipation over the 8877.   If I were strictly on SSB with low drive power,
I think the 8877 would be my tube of choice and if I wanted to step up to
another level and had sufficient drive the cathode driven 3CX3000A7
would, in my opinion, be a superb choice.
  I received another response that indicated that the 3CX1200Z7 would have the
least amount of parasitic problems as compared to the 3CX1200A7 so I'm now
thinking about a rig with that tube.
  Thanks for the response and the information.
73,
Ken W2DTC