[AMPS] MFJ-259B Question

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 05:05:16 -0400

> Has anyone made a thorough comparison of the MFJ-259B with the AEA and
> Autek Impedance Analyzer's? The AEA seems a little sexier with the LCD
> graph display and computer interface, but I am wondering which unit
> produces the most accurate impedance measurements?

They all suffer the same external signal limitations because they all
use broadband detectors. The 259 is more accurate than the
Autek, and not as convenient as the AEA.

The AEA "guesses" the sign of the reactance by measuring
reactance shift with frequency, so the sign will be wrong in many
cases with antenna systems. It will determine lumped component
sign correctly. The 259, rather than "guessing", just won't give the
sign of reactance.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com