[AMPS] MFJ-259B Question

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:56:48 -0400

> I have been using a borrowed MFJ-259B to trim & tune a few antennas that I
> use. The box works fine for most applications and I will probably buy one
> for myself later on. HOWEVER !! The dip meter accessories do NOT work as
> the ads describe, no matter how they are positioned around the tank
> circuit, no indication is given.

The dip-meter attachment does not work well. As recently as a
week ago I reminded them of that.

The reason it does not have high sensitivity is the coupling
coefficient is too low. That's because the coils are not part of an
oscillator tank circuit, and do have the intense fields associated
with tank circuits in oscillators.

They should work with a tank circuit, because the Q of the tank
circuit should be high. That will increase mutual coupling to the dip
adapter coils. Maybe something is wrong with the coils. They
might not have been built correctly.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com