[AMPS] a sticky issue.

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 08:55:26 -0400

> Remember in the last few days we have been told equipment has to be
> designed for the cheap and the ignorant

Actually that is true. It doesn't mean everyone doesn't know how to
tune a PA or is cheap, but the fact is many people don't. You'd be
amazed at the calls!

One fellow bought a CE approved AL811H that has a plug-in power
cord. He connected the amp to 12 volts through the 12 volt
accessory jack, and complained he could get the meters to light
but couldn't get any output.

It took about a half-hour to figure out he never even took the line
cord out of the box and plugged it in!

Now that doesn't mean all hams are that inexperienced, but it's a
new world out there. This is becoming more and more like
consumer electronics than a technical hobby, and don't kid
yourself.

Things have to be planned for that trend, whether we like it or not. If
that offends you, too bad. Better get used to it.

> >This should be no surprise.
> >I have the 10-20 meter section of a AL-1500 tank coil in my left hand as
> >I type. I can totally conceal it by wrapping my fingers around it.  It is
> >made out of square bent tubing.
> >
> >(((73)))
> >Phil, K5PC

You can put any size of tank coil you like in the AL1500, and you
won't change efficiency even a couple percent. That includes
eliminating the switch and making it a monobander.

There is a fair efficiency improvement to be gained on some early
models that used a single RG-174 cable from the tube to the tuned
input. That cable needs to be replaced with 25 ohm or lower Z
cable, or have two cables parallelled, that'll pick things up about
10% or so on ten meters. Later models (post 1990) have that
change.

The 50% Rich claims could be typical exaggeration, or something
from early production.

The "88 ohm" bypass capacitor can be changed top anything that
makes Measures "feel all warm and fuzzy", and nothing will
change.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com