[AMPS] getters

Bill Turner w7ti@jps.net
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:11:57 -0700

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:57:11 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote:

>Eimac and other large power grid tube manufacturers use gettering
>materials activated by filament heat or anode heat.
>
>Without that, the tubes eventually gas up and fail.

You have me curious about something.  I recently fired up my old Heath
SB-1000 after it sat idle for about six years.  It was fine when put
in storage, but when powered up, the 3-500Z lit up like one of those
Radio Shack globes with the "lightning" effect.  I replaced it and all
was well.

My question is, has this tube gone permanently bad or could it be
revived with carefully controlled "gettering"?  I have a suspicion if
there is that much gas in there, it's gone for good.  Any one have
experience of this sort?

73, Bill W7TI