[AMPS] Re: G2DAF Amps Circuit

measures 2@vc.net
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:18:52 -0700

>Tom- I have heard little good about it, either, except that the "real"
>G2DAF circuit depended on a particular tube to work acceptably, and that
>the units Rich is mad at, and talks about, were NOT the real thing.

The original circuit was tried by two of the three users in California.
There was a problem with not enough screen volts.  Their mod helped.  The
last fix was to regulate the screen with a shunt regulator.

>THis is
>from his own words, just put in more blunt form. He has not, apparently
>ever heard a real one.

 The W6CHR version was apparently the original DAF circuit.  This is the
amp. that produced splatter from 3980 to c. 3810 KHz.   Is this awesome
or what?

> Each one he has heard, from his posts, had been
>"improved" by someome otherwise well known for feculence, already.

yea, verily.

>Enough- I am certainly NOT pushing that circuit, when many better are around.

true enough, Bill.  However,  FCC rules permit any amount of feculence
provided it does not go outside the amateur service band.

>At 01:00 PM 10/25/00 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hi Bill,

>>> G2DAF Amp, but for a "bastardized" version. Rich has a "Thing" against the
>>> so-called G2DAF, and his comments are to be taken with caution.
>>>
>>> Bill-W4BSG
>>
>>I don't think the G2DAF is a good system either. It has to be, at
>>the very least, very unreliable for IMD quality.
>>
>>It does everything wrong I can possibly imagine. It loads the exciter
>>with a time-varying and power sensitive load, the screen voltage
>>moves all over the place, and there must certainly be phase-shift
>>between the screen voltage and the drive voltage.
>>
>>Probably the only thing that "saves it" in some cases is the high
>>amount of negative feedback.
>>
>>I'm sure there are cases where it will work, but then I've even seen
>>class C PA's produce "acceptable" IMD at certain power levels and
>>certain tuning conditions.
>>
>>IMO, the fewer G2DAF systems on the air the better off we all
>>are....even if some seem to be "OK". It has to be one of the
>>poorest circuits available for a linear amplifier, short of out-and-out
>>self-biased class C.
>>

>>73, Tom W8JI
>>w8ji@contesting.com
>>

>-