[AMPS] High-SWR protection

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 06:59:05 -0500

> 2. use the SWR alarm relay to apply cutoff ALC voltage to the exciter;
> this method protects the amplifier's relays, so it's better than just
> de-keying the amp.

If the relays in the amp are properly sequenced, dropping the relay
line won't hurt a thing.

If they are NOT properly sequenced, you had best fix them so they
are. Otherwise you are leaving yourself open to bandswitch
damage and other load-fault related problems in normal operation.

I'd be reluctant to use application of ALC voltage as the sole means
of shutting off the exciter, because ALC lines can be a bit slow and
you also must depend on an external negative supply. Anything
gets unplugged or shorted and you have no protection.

If I used ALC, I'd be darned sure I also dropped the antenna relays
during a fault.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com