SV: [AMPS] Portable linear using a DAF?

sm5ki sm5ki@algonet.se
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:27:35 +0100

Sorry Tom this time you may be wrong.

I use this IC 751A switcher OUTSIDE the transceiver all the time in my
portable station with very little problems - I hear only some tiny carriers
wandering around on 80. I use a windom wire antenna and had some problems
before, before they rebuild the open air power lines that earlier were
closer the antenna. These power lines are open air lines and extend up to 2
kilometers from the summerhouse and are nowadays below earth close to the
antenna. When I had noise problems the power lines were pretty close to the
antenna, say 60 meters.

Even with very much filtering on the switcher mains side there are always
something left way down and with the  long power line acting as a huge long
wire antenna coupling to another wire antenna, eg my windom, there should
acually be more QRM than I have right now.

But, I had a problem on two meters with an IC 706 that had some garbage
outside the SSB channel. I assume it was the switcher residual ripple, noise
 and spikes modulating the rig. Me and my buddy used some ten element
antennas and the two mweter noise level is very low in our QTH:s. Also, the
706 synthesizer is not very good of course adding to the problem.

Yes? de Hans