[AMPS] High-SWR protection

Lamb k7fm@teleport.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 05:42:27 -0800

Ten-Tec said:

> "...The SWR reading gives no indication of reactive components, nor can it
> separate the resistive from the reactive components.  It is calibrated
> with a pure resistive load and therefore has its greatest accuracy with
> pure resistive loads."

Tom said:

"That's an old and very incorrect wive's tale. Incorrect rumor has it
that a 25 ohm load and 25 ohm R will look like 50 ohms and have a
1:1 false SWR reading, or that a 50 ohm impedance (which is not
the case with R25 j25) will somehow show as a 1:1 SWR when j is
not zero."

Tom, you misread the statement.  Re-read the original statement.

I believe you mis-stated your claim, also.  A 25 ohm load and a 25 ohm R
would = 50 ohm if they are in series.  25j0 +25j0 = 50j0.  I guess you meant
25 ohms reactance.  Ten-Tec said nothing about that.

In this case, you were so anxious to criticize you put words into the
statement.

I have spent time on the test bench with directional couplers and even
published a construction article on the subject.

Colin  K7FM