[AMPS] Re: Continuos Duty Amp

Steve Hajducek n2ckh@cybercomm.net
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 18:01:02 -0300

At 02:15 PM 9/1/00 -0700, you wrote:

>>>That is correct.."Continuous Commercial Service."
>>>
>>>To test for this, place a brick on your key with amp putting put
>>>1500 watts. Come back in  a week and see if it is still @ 1500 watts.
>>>If, so, you probably have a CCS rated amp.
>>>
>>>(((73)))
>>>Phil, K5PC
>>>

>>In my opinion buy surplus. If you really want a work horse and
>>have the room forget the amateur desktop amps and get a used
>>commercial or military amplifier that can loaf at 1500w out.
>>
>>Don't get me wrong, I love my old SB-220 desk top amplifier for the
>>casual DX boast. But my Collins 204F is the DX/Contest king for a
>>weekend's worth of heavy loafing at 1500w out.
>>
>€  When a dyed in the wool contestor/dxer talks about ''loafing at
>1500W'' he is usually talking about ZSAC watts.
>cheers
>
>-  Rich..., 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
>end

For what it's worth, the zero-signal anode-current or idling current on
my 204F for a pair of 4CX1000A operating Class AB1 at 20% of rated
anode current has it sitting there drawing 2.5Kw of primary input power
when the plate is on, on a two-tone test at 1.5Kw peak output the input
power is about 3.52Kw, a two-tone test at a full 2.5Kw peak output into
a load the input power is 4.2Kw and for a CW signal at 2.5Kw average
into a load the input power is 5.5Kw. So when I say loafing at 1.5Kw
out I do mean a light load on the unit at legal limit when needed.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH
http://www.qsl.net/n2ckh