[AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?

measures 2@vc.net
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 14:12:16 -0700

>>(the 922 does not have proper airflow so the tubes will
>>overheat)
>>73, Tom W8JI
>>w8ji@contesting.com
>
>>The 922 has a tank circuit that uses enough copper, the tank has
>>forced air cooling, and the 922 is instant on.  In my opinion, the person
>>who designed the cooling system was definitely very cool.
>>good luck, Gary
>>- Rich..., 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
>>end
>
>Now I understand the Grate parasitic debate and how long standing debates
>become feuds but do we really have a serious debate on the cooling capacity
>of the TL922A ?

€  One of the debators tested the 922's cooling ability, and one debator
probably only pontificated about it.  //  The Grate Parasitic Debate is
no longer controversial.  The missing piece of the parasitic puzzle was
how does the VHF potential from the anode get stepped up to roughly
double the anode supply voltage, thereby resulting in bandswitch and/or
Tune-C arcing?.  The answer is that when there is a VHF series-resonance
in the Tune-C at a frequency Near the parasite, the Tune-C acts as a
Z-step-up L-network instead of a low-Z path to gnd.  The person who made
this important discovery is Mr. Rauch.  Congrats, Tom.  Unfortunately, he
is seeming too embarrassed to discuss it with any of us in public.

>.  I thought that the good cooling system almost compensated
>for the "weak" power supply. Cooling has never been a topic of complaint
>with anyone I  have talked to that has one.

€  Agreed.  My semi-crude test indicates that the 922 has way more
cooling capability than than hv transformer capability.

later, Dave.

end