[AMPS] Big muthah soldering iron

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 23:39:18 -0500

Subject: RE: [AMPS] Big muthah soldering iron

> >> Anybody know where I can buy
> >> one? And, I'm not proud: A used one works as well as a
> >> new one...
>
> I use a Weller SP-80 for these purposes. It is affectionately
> known as "the monster of love". It would probably work for
> cauterizing piles also.
> I got it at a local hardware store. It was not all that expensive
> and tips seem easy to get.

I have a Weller also; but don't you really miss those big old American Beauties
with the big wooden handles and cloth-covered cords?! I also miss the aroma
of the old Kester solder.The ersin core stuff of today is just not as sweet.

My "Elmer" cleaned the solder/flux/carbon from the tip of his American Beauty
with his thumb; desensitized from years of tamping his pipe. I only tried that
once!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC