[AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?

measures 2@vc.net
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 06:31:33 -0700

>> Has anyone been able to measure the frequency of oscillation in, for
>> example, TL922? What dip frequencies are found with a GDO in a 922? In
>> other amps?
>

>I'm missing something in the above Steve.
>
>Tell me how a GDO can be used to measure the mode of
>resonance? How do you know the impedance is high, instead of
>low? How do you know what you are measuring in a complex
>system, since it has no directional ports?
>
>I can dip my amplifier tank on 1.8 MHz. Does that mean it
>oscillates there also?
>
>These are serious questions, don't take them as flip remarks. I'd
>like to know those answers.
>
>> >Of course you nee a real amp to measure. What amplifier do you
>> >have available? If you have one that I have, we can go through the
>> >measurements and compare results on here.
>>

>> I don't. I've never mastered a straight key, so I've not been able to pass
>> the code tests to get on hf over here. A degree and 25 years designing rf
>> for a living doesn't count. I'm hoping to sidestep the system by taking
>> Extra class exams next month.
>
>OK, so you can't measure a PA...and haven't measured one.
>Without doing that, on a device that measures impedance of
>coupling between ports, how do you know all this stability
>handwaving is true?
>

>> For sure, if you have a low impedance at a given point and frequency, it
>> is difficult to generate high voltage there, and if you mistune the output
>> network you can get a high impedance and lots of volts at the tune C.
>> That's simple fact.
>
>You can get MANY times the normal AC voltage.

A test by the owner of a SB-220 indicated that the max. mistune potential
for the tank was 3700v.  My own tests semi-confirm this.

>As a matter of fact, underloaded tanks are commonly used in HV
>supplies. TV sets use a "flyback" transformer that steps up voltage
>far beyond the actual turns ratio, because it is an "underloaded
>tank".
>
>Your car uses a similar principle to generate the ignition pulse.

zzzzzz

>Remove the capacitor from an ignition coil, or the capacitance
>resonating a flyback transformer, and the voltage will drop like a
>rock to the normal voltage expected using the turns (impedance)
>ratio. The same thing happens in a tank, and the TUBE is
>subjected to those peak voltages just like the bandswitch.
>
>I can make virtually any HF amplifier arc and damage something by
>mistuning or having the correct load fault/exciter transient.

If an antenna tuner cap. or a lightning-arrestor gap arcs, it is possible
to arc the tank in an amplifier.

>I can't make many of them arc by removing parasitic suppression,
>and I've never been able to make a bandswitch arc that way unless
>the PA oscillated at the fundamental frequency, or near it.

bananas

>> There's a few types of amp that crop up regularly here with problems, such
>> as TL922. Anyone near Newbury got one I can poke around inside?
>>
>> Steve
>
>Try this test. Excite the anode with a VHF signal source, and move
>downstream through the anode and tank system measuring
>voltages.
>
>I'll send you $100 if you find a commercial HF amplifier that steps
>the anode voltage UP as you move through the tank.
>
>I'm sure we will all agree that if, when the anode is excited by a
>signal source at the frequency where the alleged "parasitic"
>occurs, in order to cause an arc downstream, the voltage would
>have to be stepped UP.

The VHF stepup L-network that arcs the bandswitch is hiding inside the
Tune-C.  Congrats on making this important discovery, Mr. Rauch.

>It would take about 500 dollars to buy brand new equipment that
>would measure this effect, most people already have the equipment
>sitting in there room.

€  ?

>Why, when such a measurement is so easy, haven't more people
>made it?

500 bucks would pay for 21 trips to the best pizza joint in Camarillo,
California.

>That one simple measurement conclusively proves (I've made it) the
>claims tank components arc from VHF parasitics on frequencies
>far removed from the tank resonance is wrong.

€  Bad news, Tom.  You can not disappear the Tune-C resonance.  The genie
is out of the bottle.  You win.  The self-recognized "expert" looses.

later

end