[AMPS] Logic v. Magic

Colin Lamb k7fm@teleport.com
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:39:28 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C01978.AEBF0CA0

If an amplifier runs without problems for a period of years it would =
seem logical to believe the original design is satisfactory, and also =
logical to believe that future problems are related to deterioration of =
components. =20

This is a generalization for which there are exceptions.  But, it should =
be safe to say that in most cases this statement would be more probably =
correct than not. =20

Upon acceptance of this statement, it seems illogical to redesign =
numerous amplifiers based upon their failure decades after they were put =
in service.=20

As an amateur scientist, I would rather work through and understand a =
specific problem than apply a generic parasitic suppressor kit that =
cures all problems. =20

Because suppressors are designed to suppress something we cannot see or =
hear, they are given magical qualities.  And, if they have special =
qualities that guarantee they will work under all conditions and for all =
amplifiers, they have even more magical qualities.  Such a suppressor =
will be the magical shield that protects from all sorts of adversaries.  =
It will improve the amplifier so that it is better than original. =20

A number of years ago, I had a Heath SB-220 that exhibited fireworks.  I =
installed nichrome parasitic suppressors and installed the other things =
recommended by Rich's original Ham Radio articles.  It still had =
fireworks.  His magic did not give me the magical shield I wanted. =20

I concluded that the magical shield did not work because I was not a =
believer.  Simply stated, I was not worthy to have it work. =20

Once I realized I had no magical protection, I went back to work to fix =
the original problem, and I must admit the science of working through a =
problem and making measurements, coming up with probable causes and =
cures and recording results was a very satisfying part of ham radio. =20

For me, installing a generic parasitic suppressor into an amplifier that =
has worked reliably for a period of years is an admission of defeat.  It =
is an admission that I am not scientific enough to deserve the Extra =
Class ticket that I hold. =20

73,  Colin  K7FM

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C01978.AEBF0CA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If an amplifier runs without problems =
for a period=20
of&nbsp;years it would seem logical to believe the original design is=20
satisfactory, and also logical to believe that future problems are =
related to=20
deterioration of components.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This is a generalization for which =
there=20
are&nbsp;exceptions.&nbsp; But, it should be safe to say that in most =
cases this=20
statement would be more probably correct than not.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Upon acceptance of this statement, it =
seems=20
illogical to redesign numerous amplifiers&nbsp;based upon their failure =
decades=20
after they were put in service.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As an amateur scientist, I would rather =
work=20
through and understand a&nbsp;specific problem than apply a generic =
parasitic=20
suppressor kit that cures all problems.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Because suppressors are designed to =
suppress=20
something we cannot see or hear,&nbsp;they are given magical =
qualities.&nbsp;=20
And,&nbsp;if they have special qualities that&nbsp;guarantee they will =
work=20
under all conditions and for all amplifiers, they have even more magical =

qualities.&nbsp; Such a suppressor will be the&nbsp;magical shield that =
protects=20
from all sorts of adversaries.&nbsp; It will improve the amplifier so =
that it is=20
better than original.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A number of years ago, I had a Heath =
SB-220 that=20
exhibited fireworks.&nbsp; I installed nichrome parasitic suppressors =
and=20
installed the other things recommended by Rich's original Ham Radio=20
articles.&nbsp; It still had fireworks.&nbsp; His magic did not give me =
the=20
magical shield I wanted.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I concluded that the magical shield did =
not work=20
because I was not a believer.&nbsp;&nbsp;Simply stated, I was not worthy =
to have=20
it work.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Once I realized I had no magical =
protection, I went=20
back to work to fix the original problem, and I must admit the science =
of=20
working through a problem and&nbsp;making measurements, coming up with=20
probable&nbsp;causes and cures</FONT>&nbsp;and recording results was a =
very=20
satisfying part of ham radio.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>For me, installing a generic parasitic suppressor into an amplifier =
that=20
has worked reliably for a period of years is an admission of =
defeat.&nbsp; It is=20
an admission that I am not scientific enough to deserve the Extra Class =
ticket=20
that I hold.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>73,&nbsp; Colin&nbsp; K7FM</DIV>