[AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 16:28:32 -0400

Measures "word tricks":

> >and the loaded Q of the tank. I
> >can easily get ten times that amount using HV rated parts in a PA.
> >
> 29kV out of a SB-220?  Only in the Rauchian World.

I said "a PA" , he said SB-220 and tagged on a name based insult.

> >I've measured higher voltages in the 220, although even 3700 volts
> >is enough to arc the air variable and bandswitch under some
> >cases.
> >
> The SB-220 Tune-C typically limits potential to c. 3800v.  Did you use a
> different Tune-C?

Measure admits the breakdown is "typically limited" to 3800 volts,
and 3700 volts was measured in one test. Anyone with common
sense knows 3700 volts is too close to a capacitor typical arc
voltage of 3800 volts, and many parts can fail!

> >People at home, tune up your PA's. Unhook the antenna and short
> >the output port of your PA. Apply full drive, and tell me if you hear any
> >sizzling noises or bangs in the tank or tube!
> >
> With the output shorted, the brake is on the flywheel, and there would be
> very little tank potential.

This is a bad misconception!
A short does not absorb energy in an RF system, it reflects it!
Measures somehow claims shorting the output of your PA to
ground so the PA drives nearly zero ohms stops the tank for
storing energy.

Anyone want to try it to see if the PA harmlessly runs along with
full drive or explodes in a big bang?

I'm disappointed to see anyone tell others a short absorbs energy.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com