[AMPS] Shorted Pi-Network Turns

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 13:39:04 -0400

> The progressive shorting of the coil presents problems for the amplifier.
> In particular, shorted turns will act like a shorted turn of a transformer
> and can lead to large circulating currents.

Only in cases where mutual coupling between turns is nearly unity,
very high, and/or there is considerable dissipative losses in the
system somewhere.

This is not normally a problem with any air wound inductor,
because flux leakage is generally pretty high. It is a problem with
toroids, especially if loaded Q is high.

> May, 1963 issue of 73 magazine by Bert Green, W2LPC.  Bert wrote the
> article while working for Amperex.  He made distortion measurements of the
> amplifier after construction and stated that "the distortion was decreased
> even further by leaving the unused turns on the plate tank coil unshorted
> when switching from band to band instead of shorting them as was done when
> the amplifier was first constructed".

Losses and circulating currents don't cause non-linearity or
distortion. More than likely he was seeing normal measurement
scatter.

How much change did he measure, and what was the test setup?

> I installed the replacement wafer with no shorting contacts and had no
> problems.

You are very lucky. The arcing problem occurs because at some
point in the center of the tank there are back-to-back L networks
formed by stray capacitance and the series inductance to that
point. Since C is low and L high, the voltage step up is extreme.

This effect has little to do with mutual coupling in the inductors, is
is a series L shunt C problem.

If you operate the amplifier on a frequency where the tank system
is resonant in that mode, it will destroy the switch.

Normally that happens when on 15 or ten meters. The effect is the
same effect that does not allow you to use split chokes to avoid
series resonances.

Antenna tuners have this same problem.

You can clearly see the frequencies where this will happen on a
network analyzer.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com