[AMPS] FCC Part 97.317

Radio WC6W wc6w@juno.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:21:54 EDT

On 13 Sep 2000 08:39:50 -0700 Mike Gilmer - N2MG <n2mg@contesting.com>
writes:

>Part 97.317 says...

 (snip)

>This seems to indicate that there can be no, say, toggle switch on the
>amp for the purpose of RX/TX switching, and definitely says no
>RF-sensing T/R switching, so I suppose that the FCC wants ONLY a radio
>with a specific amp-keying line to be able to T/R switch a "certified"
>amp.  Is this to make it harder for typical CB radios to key an
>certified amp?
>
>Seems an awful lot of the requirements like maximum gain, minimum
>drive, etc., are specifically there to deny CB radios easy
>compatibility with amplifiers.
>
>73
>Mike
>N2MG

Hi Mike,
   YES, that is exactly what that part is all about.  Take a look at
subsection 97.317 c 8 (Oct. 1995 edition) which states that ANYTHING
which the lawyers forgot to specifically define to prevent CB operation
will result in denial of type acceptance.

  The truly bad effect of this rule is that it stifles technical
innovation on the part of manufacturers by pretty much locking them into
a GG linear amp which must be driven from a 100W class transceiver.

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!