[AMPS] Kaput 8877s from AL-1500 arrive

measures 2@vc.net
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:16:08 -0700

>Thanks Rich.  Any news to report?

Thr autopsy is finished, Paul.  There is minimal loose gold.   And why
not?   10uA of leakage at +4000v is below normal for a typical
gold-sputtered 8877.    There are no bare spots where the grid's base
metal is exposed like the 8874 in "Parasitics Revisited" (9-90 QST).
There is one gold blister on the grounded end of the grid cage.  In my
opinion, this dud would have been useable if the loose gold had been
moved to the base by tapping with a hammer.  Perhaps Ameritron should
provide a  "free"  4oz. ball-peen hammer with each AL-1500.?  Or, perhaps
the time has come for a R/L suppressor device?

cheers