[AMPS] Mount pi-net capacitors vertically

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 06:45:54 -0400

Subject:        	Re: [AMPS] Mount pi-net capacitors vertically
Date sent:      	Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:04:06 -0700
From:           	measures <2@vc.net>
To:             	"jeff millar" <jeff@wa1hco.mv.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>

> >I went to the site mentioned a few days ago with all the amp pictures,
> >http://www.angenent.org/W7IUV/amp-pix.htm and noted that most of these
> >put the vacuum variables horizontal with the tuning shafts straight out
> >the front panel.  With all the talk about stray inductance and grounding,
> >I'd like to ask why they all do this?
> >
> €  Builders who use horiz. mounting apparently did not read the Jennings
> catalog.

>From page 12 of the 1990 Jennings catalog:

Mounting Position- Units may be mounted in any position. When
large capacitors are mounted horizontally, both ends should be
supported to prevent excessive stresses (vertical mounting
preferred).

You can mount your capacitors in any position, as long as they
aren't the large capacitors.

I asked Jennings about that several years ago and they said by
"large" they mean capacitors over 10 pounds weight. They are
worried about the bending moment on the front seal.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com