[AMPS] Hipot tests

measures 2@vc.net
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 16:10:31 -0700

A  floating,  RF-choked heater, jumpered to the cathode is the safest
way.   Some guys take the shortcut.

>There were no visible anode or grid meter
>twitches as the HT came on, and no standing current when put into tx. I'm
>prepared to accept it as 'one of those things', maybe from lack of current
>limiting.

A heater has much less inrush current than does a filament.  Very few
heater type tubes need heater inrush protection.

> Diagnosing the heater failure wasn't the intended purpose of my
>post, but it does mean that the tube can be opened without any loss.

I don't understand the question.

>>>The other works fine in a 6m PA.
>>>
>>>Blown one (8722 date) anode+, grid- 10uA at 10kV. Anode -, grid+ 10uA at
>>>5kV.
>>>
>>>Good one (8705 date) anode+ 10uA at 13kV, anode- 10uA at 8kV.
>

>I was interested in the increased leakage with the anode negative. Any
>ideas, anyone?

 I have never seen such a case.  With gas leakage, the +/- currents are
equal.

cheers, Steve

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps