[AMPS] wanted SB 220 bandswitch

measures 2@vc.net
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:56:26 -0700

>> Regarding this business of legitimate bandswitch failures, methinks the
>> bandswitch has such a high SWR at even moderate VHF power levels (say 10 W
>> - 21 dB down on carrier level), that the contacts heat up, loosen/corrode,
>> and fail as the years go by. Nothing to do with explosive VHF power
>> levels, etc.
>>
>> For what it's worth,
>> Ian ZS6BTE
>
>The failure mode you describe is caused by dirty contacts.

My SB-220 bandswitch was clean when I had the open contact arcing
problem.  When I decreased the Rp (see N7WS' measurements.) of the
parasitic suppressors, the arcing stopped.

>Once a contact behaves that way, the plating is pitted. It makes
>progressively poorer connections, until eventually it has a heat
>failure.

Heat failure is reportedly common in AL-1500s.  The fix is a new switch
and an added fan.

>The current is pretty high at HF, as is the voltage. You have both
>circulating currents and high peaks voltage to deal with in the
>resonant tank.
>
>The VHF makes for colorful conversation, but isn't very likely from a
>technical viewpoint.

Mr. Rauch has never explained what could suddenly change the value of
R-supp by a few hundred percent without showing any visable damage.

end

end