[AMPS] AL-80B Amps

Tarrant David vq9jt@cwnetdg.io
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 07:14:17 +0100

This subject has probably be covered before but I thought
that I would again share this with the group.

The Radio Club here at Diego Garcia has two AL-80B
Ameritron amps.  A month ago we had a 3-500Z short and
it had to be replaced.  Last night the other amp's 3-500Z
shorted and we also had to replace that one.  While checking the
schematic during this process, we noticed that the
OPR/STANDBY switch only enables the keying relay.
The High Voltage comes on and remains on with the
OFF/ON switch.  We were all a bit shocked by this design
and wanted to warn others before they are fatally shocked
by this design!

73,

Joe  K5DIY/VQ9JT