[AMPS] 4-1000A Project

Phil (VA3UX) phil@vaxxine.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 21:47:20 -0400

At 06:02 PM 4/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Why do you need a good bandswitch to prevent arcing at high voltages?
>
>The band switch should come AFTER the DC blocking cap.  Therefore, as long
>as it can handle the circulating currents present in the tank, the plate
>voltage should make no difference.

Huh ?  Say what ?

Gee, could it be that the peak RF voltage is related to the DC plate voltage ?

>If you have a design that is not DC blocked (not sure why you'd want to do
>that), then I agree.  But with a proper design, it should not matter.
>
>Also, no offense to Mike, W1NR, below, but I suspect his power numbers as
>well.  All my experience and actually data in the books shows that the
>4-1000A does not put out 1800 W from 100 W in at 4400 Volts.  Perhaps he's
>got an extremely hot tube, but that is not the norm.

I don't suspect Mike's numbers at all.  I do suspect your data (and perhaps
your "experience").  I have Eimac's bulletin (# AS-1) right here : with Ep
= 4000V and 105 watts drive it is spec'd for 1870 watts. At Ep = 5000V and
70 watts drive it's spec'd for 1900 W out.  Both cathode driven.

>Most ham power meters are not at all accurate at mid-scale power readings.

They aren't accurate at any position of the scale to much better than 10%.

Phil