[AMPS] 4-1000A Project

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 23:51:00 -0500

> What you do with the input circuit can have more to do with
> efficiency than tank Q in many cases.

This reminds me of an incident very pertinent to this thread, whether
you are building your first 4X1 amp, or your 20th.

A good friend and famous multi-multi contest station owner, Phil Ashcraft,
was killed while adjusting the tuned input on his 4X1 amp. All HV is lethal,
but when you get past 5kv, one little mistake will probably be your last.
The HV  contacted his watch band, and "welded" his arm to the B+.

Things that would never break down at 4kv such a components, insulation,
and even arcs in open air are not unusual. Take all the precautions you can,
especially when the covers are off. Amp builders are a dying breed...lets
hope we will all go SK by natural causes.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC