[AMPS] Zener screen supplies

John Nelson John_Nelson@compuserve.com
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 05:04:21 -0400

Message text written by Bill Aycock

>Measurement of an actual 4CX250B shows that the insulator surface path is
just under 7mm long, as opposed to slightly over 10mm on the drawing.<

As a troll-avoidance measure, perhaps what I should have said was:

Physical measurement of an Eimac 4CX250B (date code 8748) using Brown &
Sharpe digital calipers (last calibration date 6/00) and a steel ruler (RS
stock number 585-307) in an office ambient temperature of 18 degrees
Celsius shows that the insulator surface path is 6.9mm long. This is of
course plus or minus any measurement error on my part.

Is the value of breakdown voltage across this gap likely to be the same as
that for two similarly separated points in air? Or does the presence of the
ceramic have any effect? Presumably surface contamination would affect it?
What order of voltage is required for breakover?

73 John
GW4FRX