[AMPS] 3 phase transforers and single phase

Mike Sawyer kc4slk@csrlink.net
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:56:45 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C0CA9D.31A447E0

I always thought that W.W. Grainger had a device that would take 220 =
2=C6 and convert it to 3=C6. It was like a converter of some sort and =
small machine shops would use them just for the purpose of converting =
2=C6 to 3. They weren't expensive either.
My nickels worth of free advice.
Mike(y)
W3SLK
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Jim Smith" <jimsmith@bigvalley.net>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2001 7:32 PM
Subject: Re: [AMPS] 3 phase transforers and single phase

    The single phase you are feeding to the motor has 2 sine waves 180
degrees out of phase with each other. Three phase is supposed to have =
three
sine waves 120 degrees out of phase with each other. If you are =
generating a
third phase , there is no place in the 360 degree cycle to squeeze in
another sine wave. You are going to end up with some really dirty power.
    The lathe may be able to deal with the dirty power, but you are =
creating
a problem for the rest of the circuits in the home, the utility, and =
your
neighbors. This situation is likely to create problems with phase shift,
cycle instability, transients, overloaded neutral conductors, and
overheating.
    If the utility finds the source of their problems, they are likely =
pull your meter to protect themselves, and their customers.
Jim Smith, KQ6UV