[AMPS] 3 phase transforers and single phase

Jim Smith jimsmith@bigvalley.net
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:17:49 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "jeff millar" <jeff@wa1hco.mv.com>
To: "Jim Smith" <jimsmith@bigvalley.net>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2001 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: [AMPS] 3 phase transforers and single phase

> Jim...
>
> Using a motor as a rotary phase convert is standard,

    I guess I've been reading the wrong standards, but I'm always willing to
learn more. Please direct me to the standard.

>traditional

I've never done it this way, or seen other installations done this way.

>and works extremely well.

That's not exactly what you said before.

> See the web site below for more discussion.
>
> http://web.wt.net/~hmsc/phconv/phconv.htm
>
> None of the disasters you propose can happen.

Please explain how your diagram can stop back EMF. Your converter cannot
work unless it is happening.

>The phases will not be
> perfectly correct and the voltage balance not perfect either.  But, that
> doesn't make it "dirty"

Yes, it does.

>...What does "dirty" mean anyway?

In the electrical industry, unconditioned power is commonly referred to as
"dirty" power. This is the stuff you use for HVAC equipment, lights, and
general purpose receptacles, but you don't want this in your data center. In
your case the power is not only unconditioned, but intentionally distorted
by forcing a third sine wave onto a single phase system. The power generated
goes both directions.
    Clean power has the voltage, frequency,power factor, and harmonic
distortion tightly regulated under both load and no-load conditions.

>The power factor
> will also run a bit off.

How much is a bit?

>But so what?  This is a few KW load on a pole pig
> rated at 20 KW in a neighborhood drawing 250 KW.  Switching power supplies
> and microwave ovens create huge power factor problems and the world hasn't
> come to an end.
>
> jeff, wa1hco

If you want to know what, check with your utility or PUC.

Jim Smith, KQ6UV