[AMPS] basic question about dipping the plate

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:28:59 -0400

> It depends on how you define resonance. A parallel tuned circuit can
> be defined as resonant when
>
> 1. XL = XC, OR

Only when the components stand alone.

> 2. when the voltage across C is maximum OR
> 3. when the current through L is maximum OR
> 4. when the impedance is maximum OR
> 5. when the applied V and I are in phase

The way a network or SYSTEM is defined as resonant is when
voltage and current are either in-phase, or 180 degrees out-of-
phase.

The L network and pi-network are resonant when the load and
source are connected. They are not resonant if you remove the
terminations.

But then who cares (other than Rich)? It is how it behaves when
being used that is important.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com