[AMPS] Triton - Glass tubes ??

Paul Ferguson Paul.Ferguson@pobox.com
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:50:54 -0400

I purchased two Amperex 3500-Zs from QRO Technologies to replace some
Chinese 3500Zs in my HF-2000 amp. One of the Chinese tubes went bad
after about 4 years.

Just under a year, one of the Amperex tubes went bad. It would draw grid
current intermittently with no drive. I swapped tubes in the sockets and could
see it was isolated to one of the tubes. I put the Chinese spare in and the
amp runs fine.

QRO purchased the Amperex tubes from Richardson. I delivered  the
defective tube to Richardson on Jan 17. It has now been almost 15 weeks
and they have not declared the tube defective and replaced it. They say they
are waiting for their vendor to test the tube. I have contacted Richardson
about 10 times asking what is the status. It is always the same -- we sent a
message to Amperex and have no word.

Richardson is willing to send a new tube only if they can bill someone if tube
is declared good by Amperex.

I have no problem with someone testing the tube. I am certain it was bad. So
far Richardson reps have been pleasant, but brought nothing to a conclusion.
I am open to suggestions about how to get them to send me a replacement.

Paul
K5ESW