[AMPS] SB-200 parasitic chokes

2 2@vc.net
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 09:39:39 -0700

>Can anyone provide the value of the resistor used and the number of turns
>for
>the parasitic chokes used in the SB-200. The manual only lists them as a
>"prebuilt" part that came with the kit. Thanks!

//  ... roughly 7-turns, 1/4 - 5/16 inch diameter with about 1 wire
diameter air gap between turns.  The best resistors for this application
are probably Matsushita 3W MOF-type.  I tested a 100-ohm 3W unit at 12W
for 1-hour.  The resistor glowed dull red, the blue paint got pale, but
the resistor did not fail.   The L of these resistors is low,:  11nH --
which is almost as low as an equivalent piece of copper tubing.  A low-L
resistor is what's prescribed for VHF parasite suppressor service.  Also,
by making the coil from resistance-wire, an approx. 60% improvement in
suppression ability results.
--  Notes:  Do not wind the wire on the film resistor because the
conductive film is under the paint. / The coils should be at right angles
to each other. / The suppressor resistors should get very hot and
discolor during AŘ on 10m.

cheers, Mark

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end