[AMPS] Gound fault

Jim Barber N7CXI@SiliconPixels.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 05:52:34 -0700

W8JI said:

>The last thing in the world anyone should do with an HF amplifier is
>use an RF sensing system to switch the thing!
>
>Timing problems are bad enough without waiting until RF appears
>to transfer the amplifier relay!
>
>I don't understand the problem the person described. The Drake
>has an internal supply for the relay. Why does it need external 12v?

If it's a common-ground problem, try flipping the
non-polarized (horrible design) relay plug over on the back of
the amp.

Not than anyone asked, but many L4-B's also do not have a
back-burp diode across the relay coil.

Hmmm.. Come to think of it, I haven't had my L4-B fired up
in a year or so.  Probably time to charge up the caps.

73,
Jim, N7CXI