[AMPS] 8930 Idling and Maximum Plate Current ( AM-6154/55 )

K7xq@aol.com K7xq@aol.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 04:53:41 EDT

--part1_126.31afb16.28ace415_boundary

Can anyone tell me what they are using for Idling and Maximum Plate Current
on the 8930 Tube for use in a VHF/UHF Amplifiers ( specifically AM-6154/55
type amplifiers ) . Eimac claims maximum plate current rating at 250 ma ..
The specification claims idling current at about 90 ma for SSB operation. I
am using it in the CW mode most of the time. I also notice when I key the amp
up, I still get linear power ( not saturated ) as high as 500 ma without
saturation at the output but worry about burning out the tube ( many people
claim they can run 450 watts out of this tube with no failures, ( I wonder if
this has something to do with the plate current being run well above 250 ma
???) . I also notice the specification rates the tube as high as 500 ma in
the " AB1 AF Amplifier / Modulator " type of operation which leads me to
believe that Eimac claims it can operate with this high of plate current.

Any comments appreciated  ( I am still learning about high power amplifiers  )

Jeff K7XQ

--part1_126.31afb16.28ace415_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  SIZE=2>
<BR>Can anyone tell me what they are using for Idling and Maximum Plate Current
<BR>on the 8930 Tube for use in a VHF/UHF Amplifiers ( specifically AM-6154/55
<BR>type amplifiers ) . Eimac claims maximum plate current rating at 250 ma .. &nbsp;
<BR>The specification claims idling current at about 90 ma for SSB operation. I
<BR>am using it in the CW mode most of the time. I also notice when I key the amp
<BR>up, I still get linear power ( not saturated ) as high as 500 ma without
<BR>saturation at the output but worry about burning out the tube ( many people
<BR>claim they can run 450 watts out of this tube with no failures, ( I wonder if
<BR>this has something to do with the plate current being run well above 250 ma
<BR>???) . I also notice the specification rates the tube as high as 500 ma in
<BR>the " AB1 AF Amplifier / Modulator " type of operation which leads me to
<BR>believe that Eimac claims it can operate with this high of plate current.
<BR>
<BR>Any comments appreciated &nbsp;( I am still learning about high power amplifiers &nbsp;)
<BR>
<BR>Jeff K7XQ
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_126.31afb16.28ace415_boundary--