[AMPS] Tetrode poor IMD performance

2 2@vc.net
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:08:40 -0700

>While not claiming to know the answer to Tom's question, I would like to add
>some information using a similar tetrode.
>
>The 4CX1000 was originally not designed for linear amplifier service.

So why does the grid have a 0W max. rating?  There is but one class of
operation that makes zero grid current --  i.e., AB1 [linear amplifier
service]. On the 4CX1000A/8168 sec sheet [5-1-70], the only listings are
for Class AB1.

>Eimac specifies the 3rd order distortion as -23 db and 5th order distortion is
>specified as -26 db.

I could find no such IMD information on the 4CX1000A/8168 in my Eimac
literature.   However, the quite similar 4CX1500B is rated at -43db 3rd
and -47db 5th ref. 2-tone - which = -49db and -53db ref. PEP
respectively.

>The Collins 30S-1 used that tube, but used a cathode
>drive configuration (which has inherent feedback) and applied additional
>feedback to arrive at a clean amplifier.
>
>Without feedback, though, a 4CX1000 with a resistive grid and perfectly
>stabilized voltages ought to yield no better than a -23 db 3rd order
>distortion.

It seems a bit doubtful that the 4CX1000A has c. 100-times as much 3rd
order distortion as a 4CX1500B.

>The 4CX1500 tube was designed specifically for linear service.  Although hte
>physical construction looks similar, Eimac specifies that the performance
>is -44 db 3rd order distortion - a whopping 21 db improvement in distortion
>figures.  I understand the main difference between the tubes is the grid
>construction.

Both tubes have grids that are designed to avoid intercepting electrons.

>The Russian tetrode that is used in the Ten-Tec amplifier tested by QST was
>not designed for linear service.

Why is the tube-type?  Is it made by Svetlana?

>The main quality is that it is
>considerably less expensive than a 4CX1500 tube.  The distortion levels may
>indicate that construction is similar to the 4CX1000.
>
>Colin  K7FM

cheers, Colin

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end