[AMPS] 14KW

Jon Ogden na9d@speakeasy.net
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 07:22:25 -0500

on 8/16/01 8:39 PM, Tom Rauch at w8ji@akorn.net wrote:

> Being proud of QRP is like being proud of being on welfare, and
> thinking the fact you can get other people to work to feed you
> somehow makes you a great skilled survivor.

Great point, Tom.  I'll admit I've had fun working some routine, European DX
with QRP.  But in general I find that having a good clean signal into the
pileup is best.  I've been on the other side of the DX pileup.  Everyone
running the 100 Watts into a dipole was just a big wall of noise.  The
stations you loved to work were the guys who were 10 dB above everyone else.
These guys were at least running good antenna systems and probably more
power.

Excessive QRP, especially with poor antennas, is as obnoxious as excessive
QRO.

73,

Jon
NA9D